Nottingham Council House and Exchange Buildings

Nottingham City Council

Nottingham City Council enlisted PWP Fire & Security to design, supply and commission a £125,000 upgrade to the existing fire alarm system in the Council House, Exchange Buildings and Shopping Complex in the Old Market Square, Nottingham.

The installation incorporated Gent 6 loop ‘Vigilon’ control panels, additional fire alarm equipment and a networked wireless fire alarm. More than 400 Honeywell and EMS devices were installed, both wireless and hard wired.

The Shopping complex installation has additional features suited to a retail environment, including verification features to reduce false alarms, whilst maintaining full communication with all parts of the system.

Being a site of historical importance and a listed building, PWP worked closely with Heritage personnel to ensure that cabling, positioning of equipment and other aspects of the project did not unduly impact on the architecture and appearance of the buildings.

"Far from being a museum, The Council House is a vital, living part of the city and the centre of local politics. This magnificent neo-Baroque building, whose 200ft high dome dominates the city skyline, has been the heart of the city centre for 80 years and a source of pride for the people of Nottingham. On a still day, the chimes from the Council House clock, known as Little John, can be heard for miles around."

Nottingham City Council

About the Council House & Exchange Buildings

Nottingham’s original Exchange Hall was built between 1724-1726 on the site of the present Council House and Exchange Buildings. In an appreciation to its architect, T.C. Howitt, published in The Times shortly after his death in 1968, the Council House was described as ‘probably still the finest municipal building outside of London’.